Tuesday, October 19, 2010

1st session of weight loss group

We started this morning, and I got my individual food plan.

Needless to say, it's very different from the way that I've been eating!

I need to eat a serving of protein at least 3x/day (tofu, fish, skinless chicken, low-fat cottage cheese - regular dairy, legumes or nuts/seeds don't count in this), 1 dairy serving/day, 1x day nuts/seeds, 1x/day whole grain, 1x/day legumes, 1x/day starchy veggie, 2x/day fruit, 4 tsp good oils/fats and a minimum of 5x/day veggies. Plus water - lots of water. No soft drinks, no caffeine after exercise. 3 meals/day plus 2 snacks, so that I'm eating every 3-4 hours and not having my blood sugar dip. Min. 30 min exercise, 6 days/week, and the grain gets eaten within 1 hour after the exercise.

The menu plan will need to be modified. Here are some of my thoughts:

Keep the hummus wrap, with veggies/sprouts. Make it on small tortilla instead of a large, and use 1/4 cup hummus or black bean dip. That will count for 1 grain, 1 legume, 1 veggie and possibly 1 oil. Eat after workout.

Breakfast: Keep a smoothie with 2 fruit, but change it to add protein powder and take away juice.

Lunch: veggies tofu curry, mock saag paneer curry, chicken over salad, salmon over salad, beef stew, chicken stir-fry with veggies

Dinner: balsamic salmon, roast chicken (3-4 oz.), turkey meatballs, egg, tofu curry, served with starchy vegetable (mashed or roast sweet potato, squash soup), regular cooked veg and a salad.

Snack #1: the hummus wrap with sprouts after the workout

Snack #2: veggies and greek yogurt dip, hard boiled egg

I'll need to plan Shabbat extra-carefully. I'm thinking of switching my schedule around so that most stuff is done ahead of time and I can workout just before dinner, so that I can have a serving of challah. The next day, do hummus, hard-boiled eggs, tomato, cucumber for breakfast, grain at lunch (with an extra grain if I do a massive walk in the afternoon) plus leftover chicken or beef stew, with veggies, guacamole and veggies for snack, another protein and veggie meal for dinner.

So far....I'm hungry, but not feeling bloated or sick. Time to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment