Thursday, April 14, 2011

Moving forward with practice expansion

(Deep breaths)

My associate accepted the job offer, and now I just need to confirm that the law clerk will accept as well.

I met with the IT consultants as well. On one hand, it's really exciting to see that so much more will be possible, and the system should take care of many of the issues that I was having with lost productivity, time management and file management.

On the other hand, I'm seeing the costs of this expansion, and realizing just how big a step this is. I've been just on my own until now, or working for others. Being an employer, having increased rent, paying for a server and increased licences, figuring out how to track workflow - it's all a change. I know that it's a necessary change, since my way of doing things was not productive enough and it's possible for my laptop to die at any moment, but it's still big.

I had also hoped that I'd be further ahead in the process by now, since I'm basically out of commission until May due to the Passover break.

I think the only way to manage the next little while is to work like mad from now until the Seders, make up the sleep during the parts of the holiday where I'm not allowed to work, and then work all-out in between, even if it means spending Good Friday doing nothing but billing. Hopefully, after the initial chaos, I'll be able to see some real changes for the better. It helps that I watched my husband change his practice first, which involved a lot of stress and effort and decisions, but has ultimately worked out very well. I'm also thinking ahead to future vacations, including the big one in December when we're going to Israel for my daughter's Bat Mitzvah. I'll need all of this in place so that I can relax while out of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment